Entryway Makeover for Less Than $100

I have a long list of home projects that I want to get done this year, and this one was not on it. But I was scrolling through Pinterest a couple weeks ago, and saw the picture below, which gave me an idea.

We almost always come into our house through the garage, but there really is no entryway. When you walk in the door, straight ahead is our bedroom, there is a wall to the left, and the kitchen and rest of the house are to the right. Since there is no real entryway, there is nowhere to hang our coats, my purse, my husband’s hats, etc., so we always just end up piling all of that stuff either on the dining room table, or the dining chairs. So when I saw this photo, I thought it was a perfect way to help with this problem in our small space. Plus I knew I could do it for cheap, which is always a win!

The wall in my space was already white, so I just decided to do the bottom half dark green, with the olive branch decals at the top to make it a little fun. I was going for a modern boho vibe, which I feel like is exactly what I ended up with! Below is a list of my supplies and their cost:

  • 1 gallon of Hunt Club green paint from Sherwin Williams (I got a full gallon rather than just a small can because I’m going to be using the same green as an accent wall in our bedroom soon) – $43.75
  • 1 roll of Frog Tape – $7.64
  • Olive Branch wall decals from Ash and Olive Co. – $15.00
  • 3 coat hooks from Home Depot – $12.84 ($4.28 each)
  • 1 6 ft. 1×4 pine board from Home Depot – $7.47
  • 1 package of 2″ construction screws from Home Depot $7.97
  • 1 small can of Minwax stain in Golden Oak (I already had this so I didn’t have to spend any money on it)
  • Polyurethane (I also already had this)
  • Paint roller, paint brush for paint, and a paint brush for stain/poly (already had these as well)
  • Total: $94.67 plus tax

I started by deciding what height I wanted the hooks at and marked it on the wall. Then I (and by I, I mean my husband, lol) figured out where the studs were in the wall. Luckily there were three evenly placed across the wall, which made it easy to decide where my hooks would go. Then I taped off the area around the bottom half of the wall, and got to painting! I did three coats just to make sure I got it fully covered.

While the paint dried, I worked on staining the board that the hooks would be attached to. That had to dry overnight, and then I added a coat of polyurethane the next morning. Once the poly was dry, I had my husband help me hang the board on the wall. We did one screw on each end where the studs were, as well as one in each stud across the wall. Then we put the hooks up, and used them to cover up the screws across the middle.

For the decals on the top half of the wall, I started off by just roughly placing them where I wanted them. Once I had them in their approximate place, I actually measured everything out to make sure they were placed evenly, and started putting them up.

I had done decals from the same shop in Hendrix’s bedroom and they were so easy to apply, but for some reason I was having a really hard time getting them to stick to the wall in this space. I’m pretty sure it was because the paint on this wall was older, while the paint in his room was fresh so they stuck better. But it wasn’t a big deal, I just had to use a little extra elbow grease to get them stuck on really well. Also, our walls are textured, which makes it a little more difficult, but on a smooth surface they should stick with no problem.

I was actually having a hard time reaching the top of the wall and was getting pretty frustrated with getting them positioned and stuck, so my husband saved the day and helped me measure and get the decals all placed correctly, then I just went in and peeled the backing off and stuck them to the wall. Once the decals were up all that was left to do was style and take some photos!

This project was so quick, easy, and affordable, and it has made a big difference for us. We now have the perfect place to hang things right when we walk in the door instead of piling it all on the table! It’s pretty and functional and I love how it turned out! Now on to the next project!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s